Green Spinach Pie
From Greek Gods | Desserts
Your St. Patrick’s Day meal isn’t complete without dessert! Get Popeye strong with this customer-submitted spinach pie.
8 ounces frozen phyllo dough, thawed
2 ounces sweet cream butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 ounces shallots, finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 ounces The Greek Gods® Traditional Plain Greek-Style Yogurt
10 ounces package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
8 ounces good imported feta cheese, crumbled
2 ounces fresh flat leaf parsley
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
6 ounces sweet cream butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Let phyllo dough thaw to room temperature covered with a damp paper towel to keep from drying out.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter and olive oil together. Saute shallots and green onions together; about 5 minutes or until shallots are transparent.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, yogurt, spinach, feta cheese, parsley, dill, seasoned salt and pepper. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Brush the bottom of a 9-inch round flan or pie plate with melted butter. Cut phyllo into 9-inch circle to fit into the pie plate.
- Line pie plate with one phyllo sheet at a time brushing each sheet with melted butter, using six layers.
- Spoon spinach mixture on top and then layer with three more phyllo layers; brushing each layer with melted butter.
- Crumble some of the remaining leftover phyllo from the cut out rounds and sprinkle on top of the pie. Brush with the remaining melted butter.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Allow pie to cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
- 1 cup = 8 ounces
- 3/4 cup = 6 ounces
- 2/3 cup = 5 1/3 ounces
- 1/2 cup = 4 ounces
- 1/3 cup = 2 2/3 ounces
- 1/4 cup = 2 ounces